Intro to Coding (ITC) Workshop
March 31 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
NOTICE: THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC.
WMCAT is proud to sponsor Grand Circus’ Intro to Coding (ITC) Workshop on March 31, 2020!
Looking to transition to a career in tech or curious about tech careers? Let us help you on your journey!
At Grand Circus, we believe anyone can become a developer. This FREE Intro To Coding (ITC) Workshop is designed for those who are curious about coding, but who have very little or no coding experience. This is why an ITC is a great place to start!
This workshop provides basic exposure to careers in the tech industry while helping you identify avenues towards building a career as a developer. You’ll explore the coding skills and popular programming languages needed for careers in web and mobile app development, and we will provide you with basic programming terminology, logic models and syntax (trust us, it’s important!), and give you the opportunity to practice basic programming ideas by creating your own webpage. While you won’t leave this workshop a developer, you will learn more about Grand Circus and the steps we have in place to get you there.
Join us, the Grand Circus community, for an introduction workshop to coding and leave with the building blocks to begin your journey in tech!
What do you need for this class?
- A laptop with Google Chrome downloaded on it*
- A willingness to learn something new
To help you on your coding journey, we want to make sure you can attend these workshops.
If you need child care or help paying bus fare in order to attend this workshop, let us know when you register!
*Need to borrow a laptop? No problem! You can can fill out this form to request.
If your schedule changes and you can no longer attend, please let us know ASAP!
Project Rising TIDE connects local residents to introductory and advanced coding training opportunities while enhancing the talent pool to support local companies. We believe that “a rising tide lifts all boats.” By actively supporting both people and businesses, we all grow stronger together.
West Michigan Center for Arts + Technology (WMCAT)
614 First St NW, Suite 300
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
WMCAT is located at the corner of First St NW and Seward Ave NW.
WMCAT is the entire third floor of the building.
- Street Parking: There is limited street parking on First St NW and Seward Ave NW (some spaces are metered and some are not).
- The DASH: If you’re coming from downtown, you can ride the DASH for free. The DASH West route drops off at Bridge St NW and Seward Ave NW, very close to our building (DASH Route Map). From there, it’s a brief walk to WMCAT. If you’re not coming from downtown, there are also DASH lots on Seward Ave NW between Lake Michigan Dr. and Bridge St. ($2 a day to park). From those lots you can ride the DASH to the nearest bus stop or walk.
- Parking Ramp: There is also a parking ramp connected to our building. You can enter the ramp on Seward Ave NW (just past Bridge Street Market and before you get to First St NW) and go straight up to the second floor. There is a fee to park (approx. $16-20/day) since the ramp is not managed by WMCAT.
Building Access: There are a couple of different ways to access the building:
- If parking on the street, taking the DASH, or parking in the DASH lot: Enter the building at main entrance on First St NW and take the elevator or stairs up to 3rd floor.
- If parking on the 2nd floor of the parking ramp: There is an entrance to the building on the northeast corner of the 2nd floor of the ramp marked by a WMCAT logo sign. Enter there, follow the WMCAT signs, and take the stairs or elevator up to 3rd floor.